Baby Monitor History
This useful device came after a resonant event: in 1932, a young son was kidnapped from the aviator Charles Lindbergh, and American parents began to panic. Then the director of General Electric Corporation Eugene McDonald instructed the company’s engineers to develop a device thanks to which he will always know what is happening in his little daughter’s room. It took five years to develop the first model, and in 1937 the world saw the first prototype of the baby monitor.
Early imaging of the baby monitor
The baby monitor was sold as a pair – a transmitter and a receiver. One device was placed next to the child, the second was located near the parents. At that time, the signal was broadcast over the home electrical network. But the device was not very popular due to the high price of $ 20 and the sound quality, which left much to be desired. Only 50 years later, the baby monitor came close to modern models. The impetus was the invention of wireless headphones in the 80s, followed by wireless devices.
The audio monitor works on the principle of a well-known walkie-talkie and allows you to hear whether the baby has woken up and what mood he is in. Industrial design studio KLONA will develop an original and stylish industrial design baby monitors.
How the baby monitor works
Today, there are many options for baby monitors on the market, but the principle of operation is the same. The device consists of two blocks that are tuned to the same frequency. One is the receiver, the other is the transmitter. The transmitter is usually installed in a child’s room, and the receiver is compact in size and can be easily carried by the parents. The transmitter has a built-in sensitive microphone that picks up any noise in the baby’s room.
Baby monitor with built-in clock and timer
The device transmits sounds via radio waves to the loudspeaker base.
- Power supply. The baby monitor receiver can be powered via the adapter. This is the most convenient option because parents can carry the device with them. The transmitter in the nursery does not need to be moved frequently, so it is convenient to plug it into a power outlet.
- Radius of action … In open areas, the radius of the baby monitor can be up to 300 meters.
- Video communication. The baby monitor can be supplemented with a video camera and watch what is happening in the child’s room. Some models allow playing lullabies to the baby through the baby monitor.
Types of baby monitors:
Signal type. Devices are distinguished by the type of signal transmission: radio frequency (analog) or digital. Digital receivers cost more and have a stronger transmission signal. Radio frequency baby monitors cannot boast of good sound transmission quality, but the devices perform their functions.
Communication type. Baby monitors can be one-way or two-way. The two-way baby monitor has a built-in microphone that allows parents to talk to their baby.
KLONA industrial design studio will create a baby monitor that will attract the consumer.
The Philips baby monitor displays the current charge level
Popular baby monitors
There are many design options for a baby monitor on the market, but there are models that are in great demand due to successful technological and design solutions:
- baby monitor with built-in monitor … The design of the model with a built-in camera in the transmitter and a monitor in the receiver is characterized by laconic and strict forms. Manufacturers prefer streamlined contours. The device is made of plastic. As a rule, white predominates in the design of such a baby monitor. For example, in models from Philips Avent or Motorola.
Digital video baby monitor SCD-620/52 from Philips Avent
Digital video baby monitor MBP421 from Motorola
- Classic baby monitor models. Devices without a VTX are less and less like a conventional walkie-talkie. Manufacturers are looking for new shapes that will look good in the interior. The model from Chicco is very popular. The design uses semicircular shapes. The white color is diluted with blue inserts, which give the body a visual lightness.
Baby monitor Baby monitor Audio Chicco
An interesting design solution from Tomy Digital. Spherical compact shapes are similar to a space object and are complemented by illumination. The parent body can be attached to the belt.
Baby Monitor Tomy Digital TF500
Some types of baby monitors are equipped with additional features that are convenient for parents:
- climate control. It records and displays the temperature and humidity in the room;
- night light. A dim light emanates from it, which does not interfere with a sound sleep of the child, but allows parents to navigate well in the room;
- Low battery notification. If the device is running on a battery, the built-in sensor will notify in time that the device is being discharged;
- connection to the phone. When the receiver records the crying of the child, the parent’s phone receives a call and you can hear everything that happens in the child’s room;
- vibration signal. It is useful if parents do not want to hear loud sounds;
- paging. Allows you to easily find the receiver using the transmitter;
- light path … Displays the signal strength.
The camcorder device is synchronized with the phone.
The display shows the current charge level and noise control in the room.
Classic model without additional functions
Baby monitor with video camera and dual microphone
Baby monitor industrial design
Baby monitors have been popular with parents around the world for more than half a century. Models are being improved, acquiring new functions. Industrial design studio KLONA will develop a model baby monitors.
The design of this model is dominated by smooth lines and compact shapes. The “Funny Clowns” model is a vivid example of a non-standard solution. The shape resembles something between a clown and a snowman. The loops allow you to hang the device on the wall or railing of the crib. The baby monitor consists of a receiver and a transmitter without additional charging stations.
Baby monitor that looks like a toy
The American manufacturer Summer Infant offers baby monitors with an ergonomic design. The receiver is built into a silicone bracelet. It resembles a regular fitness tracker. The user can adjust the length of the strap by hand. The transmitter housing is compact and streamlined. The parent unit is powered by a lithium-ion battery. The baby unit serves as a charging station.
Baby monitor receiver is made in the form of a bracelet
Manufacturers are improving baby monitors using new technologies and unexpected design solutions. The new models are less and less reminiscent of walkie-talkies and are becoming an original addition to the interior. The design of the parent body has changed. The receiver can now be attached to a belt or worn as a bracelet.
Industrial design studio KLONA will develop a unique design of a baby monitor that consumers will love.