The car navigator is one of the most useful inventions of the last 50 years. What functions should a modern navigator contain and how should it look we tell in a new material.
Create a GPS Navigator: Where to Start
The navigator consists of a GPS receiver and a computer. Thanks to their interaction, it turns out to catch a signal from space and decode it, showing your current location. Navigators are:
For car navigators main functions are loading maps, laying routes and voice prompts to the driver. Most navigators take data from the American satellite system NAVSTAR GPS. Today it works much better than its counterparts. There are also other positioning systems: Russian GLONASS, Galileo from the EU, Chinese Beidou, Indian IRNSS. Some navigators support two or three positioning systems at once.
All navigators are different, like people. This is manifested in the appearance of devices and their functions. There are many classifications, conditionally navigators can be divided into built-in (leader – Garmin) and autonomous (leader – Pioneer). The main thing in a navigator is a map, without it even the best navigator is just a piece of iron.
Create a navigator: the constituent parts of the device
- GPS receiver;
Navigator development: what is important to the consumer
- High speed of work. To do this, the device must be equipped with a powerful processor and sufficient memory.
- Convenience of updating maps. For this, the download must be automatic.
- Anti-glare screen It simplifies the use of the navigator during the daytime and is a great advantage for the consumer.
- The optimal screen size is 5 inches … If it is less, it will be uncomfortable for the user to watch. A screen that is too large can distract you from driving.
- Convenient map scrolling and responsive screen … The better the touchscreen responds to touch, the less time the driver spends working with it.
- Fixing the navigator. Low-quality suction cups often fall off in cold weather, and the navigator falls. The plugs may be loose and the navigator will shake while driving. Due to poor fastening of navigators, the USB port may crumble during shaking. The small size of the mount for the navigator and its mobility are important. The holder should rotate 360 degrees.
- The final detail – the case of the navigator. Its shape and construction is the shell of the navigator. It creates the final impression of the product. To take into account all the important details and to produce a comfortable body, a 3D model navigator.
- Intuitive controls … This item concerns software – routing and displaying.
To develop a functional navigator contact CLONE. We provide 3d modeling services and create a ready-to-manufacture product.
Analyzing Leaders to Develop a Flawless Navigator
The global navigator market is controlled by the American brand Garmin. They are the undisputed leaders in the industry. Their closest competitors are TomTom, Magellan, Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion, Alpine brands. The models of these manufacturers were recognized as the best in 2016.
Garmin nüvi 2589LMT: navigator design as art
In America, the price for this masterpiece industrial design is $ 260. The official representative in Ukraine has a price of UAH 8153. Pluses navigator are:
- unlimited map update;
- voice control;
- optimal size of the touch screen with high resolution (5 inches);
- integration with Foursquare;
- presence of Bluetooth;
- voice guidance from the manufacturer, which works even without a GPS signal;
- pinch-to-zoom function and dual screen orientation (vertical and horizontal).
This navigator recognized as the best in 2016 due to its price and feature set. Consumers love Garmin navigators for their excellent mounts, comfortable swivel angles, and thoughtful navigator detachment design. The Garmin cord fits into the suction mount and does not fall to the panel or floor. Also, this navigator has a very convenient display of routes and the location of the car.
Pioneer 8100 NEX: the best in multimedia
The best built-in navigator of 2016 has an assistant who helps to choose a lane, monitors traffic jams and offers to go around them. The Pioneer 8100 NEX has a Bluetooth function, it can display information from a smartphone on its screen, it is synchronized with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The Japanese from Pioneer specialize in car multimedia. Therefore large the emphasis is on image quality, the ability to play radio and display videos, integration with social networks. Screen diagonal – 7 inches. The touchscreen is responsive and has a high HDMI resolution. There are also CD and DVD players and a front Aux port.
In general, built-in navigation systems are inferior to portable ones. It is less convenient to watch the route on them. However, their entertainment functions are one level better. The price of built-in navigation systems is much higher. In America, the Pioneer 8100 NEX costs 6 times more than the Garmin nüvi 2589LMT. (on average – 1200 USD.)
TomTom Go 500: almost perfect
Portable navigator TomTom slightly cheaper than Garmin (market price in America about $ 180) and endowed with similar features. However, it does not have a built-in receiver that monitors traffic jams. Also, this navigator can only work in one position, it cannot be turned vertically.
The screen size is similar – 5 inches, but it weighs more than the main competitor – Garmin (8.3 to 6.5). TomTom Go 500 has integration with social networks, mail and smartphone.
Industrial design services of navigators are provided by KLONA. Towards the unknown together!
Industrial Design Trends in GPS Navigators
1. Analyzing new items that have entered the market, we can say that all screens have a little rounded corners of the body. This echoes trends in smartphone design.
2. White color. Bushnell has released a white navigator. This is a bold move, since in this area it is customary to choose black for the color of the instrument case.
3. Using the entire space of the device. The TomTom GO LIVE model has speakers throughout the body. This helps to reproduce sound evenly.
4. Gloss beats haze … Most new devices have a glossy surface rather than a matte surface.
5. Reissue of old models, for those who miss simple devices. Bushnell’s Nav 500 has a small screen and simple buttons. We have already written above that many people do not perceive digital screens. Therefore, manufacturers take a step towards them, returning to simpler devices.
Technologies that influence the design of the navigator
Ford introduced the Proton Navigator back in 1964. At the presentation of the Aurora concept (it was not launched into mass production), the company presented the first navigation system. She should have work with LORAN and VOR radio systems. The error was 1-2 miles. The radio signal was broadcast to a regular map, on which crossed lines were mixed. The idea was abandoned – the system was too cumbersome. However, even then it was clear in which direction the technology was moving and what it would look like.
Digital technologies made it possible to equip navigators touch screens. Newer models are usually equipped with just such systems. This minimizes the number of buttons and allows you to operate the device faster. However, some motorists argue that buttons are more familiar to them and stubbornly insist on the uselessness and inconvenience of ubiquitous touch surfaces.
Embeddability. The minimalist trend is reflected in the built-in navigators. The leader in this area is the Japanese company Pioneer. They focus on quality displays and sound. The second aspect of this trend is the combination of a navigator and a recorder in one design. In this case, the design of the recorder and navigator is distinguished by its large construction dimensions.
Screen transformation. Transparent and translucent screens that fit on the panel, display on glass, virtual screens – all these innovations are designed to make management more secure. For example, Pioneer started selling navigation systems with an additional reality in the middle of the 13th year – a virtual screen that is placed on the windshield.
Voice input. When this technology began to be implemented, it did not work very well – it was necessary to repeat the same thing many times. Over the past year, voice input technology has taken a leap forward. Leading market analysts predict the transformation of interfaces. Probably, by 2020, the main players and their flagship navigators will work precisely through voice interaction with a person. This will affect the appearance of navigators – first of all, there will be fewer buttons.
For corpus design a navigator that will be functional and attractive, contact CLONE. Contact the manager right now.
+38 (044) 338 88 02
Manufacturing of navigators: the latest innovations and development trends
1. Bicycle navigator with radar … Garmin Varia is equipped with a special radar that reports the approach of a car to a connected bike computer. Forty percent of all road traffic accidents involving cyclists were due to collisions with passing vehicles. In recent years, cyclists with world estate have died – the Japanese Haruhisha Watanabe and the American Ron McGerity, a Serb nicknamed Jimi Samara. That’s why The new product from Garmin is a promising innovation that will save many lives.
2. Head-up systems … Navigators of the future will project the image not on their monitors, but directly onto the windshield of the car. This will allow drivers to be more attentive and make it easier to navigate the terrain. Read more about this and other automotive innovations in our blog post on car design …
In June 2016, iScout was released – a car navigator with a transparent display. Essentially, it is a prototype of a head-up system for the car. Its functions:
- integration with a phone via Bluetooth;
- integration with the on-board computer of the car and displaying information on the fuel, battery charge, speed, etc. on the navigator screen.
The developers claim that thanks to iScout, there will be fewer accidents, because you do not need to lower your head to the monitor. In addition to navigation via Bluetooth, you can connect a smartphone to the device. The control function is also interesting – voice commands, as well as gesture control. By simply swiping your hand in front of the screen, you can accept or reject a call.
3. Refusal from satellites in favor of magnetic navigators. This technology is based on a quantum microchip. It measures the polarity and magnitude of the magnetic field. The device finds the location by comparing the polarity with the stored magnetic card. What does it do? First, higher positioning accuracy. They also work in buildings with thick walls and 1000m underwater. Now British scientists are working in this area, funding comes from the country’s Ministry of Defense.
4. Regional features of the market. The navigator is not only the device itself. Thanks to the presence of GPS in phones, each device can become a navigator. Ukrainian startups have developed a mobile navigator Navizor. Thanks to him, you can learn about the quality of the road surface – a problem that is close to the heart of every inhabitant of our country. The application not only states a fact, but also suggests how to avoid bad sections of the road. It is also possible to assess the quality of the road.
5. Ubiquitous use of artificial intelligence not spared navigators. Inrix has included additional artificial intelligence capabilities in its application. They allow you to study the driver’s preferences, warn him that the gasoline is running out, predict routes – studies all the driver’s habits.
6. Anticipation functions. The next generation of navigators is required to do more than just know the way. They must assess the situation on the roads in real time and propose the shortest detour options (all industry leaders are developing in this direction).
These industry characteristics suggest that navigators by 2020 they will change their appearance. Today, it is increasingly difficult for manufacturers to compete with smartphones. Each phone, thanks to a variety of applications, can be a full-fledged navigator. This trend is especially well observed in developed countries – where there is good mobile Internet coverage (in cities). Therefore, displaying an image on the windshield or fixing transparent screens on it is something that will invariably happen in the near future.
Stay tuned with KLONA. Industrial design and design from our studio will be relevant and functional at the same time. KLONA projects are doomed to success!