There are several types of 3D modeling: wireframe, solid, surface, generative and polygonal. Volumetric rendering using polygons is the very first variation 3D modeling … Polygonal modeling 3d max has its own nuances and difficulties, but this method is still very popular in the field of 3D technology.
What is polygon modeling
Polygonal modeling – low-level modeling, which allows you to visualize an object using a polygonal mesh.
Polygonal meshes consist of the following subobjects:
- vertex – the junction point of the ribs, there can be any number of them;
- ribs – lines protruding as the boundaries of the faces;
- faces or polygons – grid cells, areas of the plane, which are most often triangular or quadrangular. A polygonal mesh can consist of a huge number of identical cells.
To create a three-dimensional model of an object, you need to work with subobjects. You can change their scale and shape, rotate, combine and divide, as well as apply other operations that allow special computer programs.
Polygonal modeling is performed in the following programs:
- 3ds Max;
Polygonal meshes are a collection of polygons from which the contours are formed, the shell of the future object. It seems that they are easy to work with, they have a well-defined outer and inner area, no additional parameters and calculations need to be done. However, this method requires patience and perseverance, since it takes thousands of mouse clicks to create even the simplest 3D model. The smallest mistake can reduce all the work, not “no”, since it is very difficult to remake the finished object.
Techniques and methods for constructing polygonal models
There are three main techniques for creating polygonal models, which are most often used in a combined version, but they can also be used in a pure form.
- Using primitives – when ready-made geometric shapes (for example, a cube or a cylinder) are taken as a basis, then the required model is constructed by extracting subobjects, dividing existing faces.
- Pulling new faces from the original polygon when each subobject appears from the previous one.
- Manually, without sources and primitives when all subobjects are drawn instead of extruded.
Polygonal modeling provides three main ways of constructing visualization objects.
- Modeling with the help of vertices – vertices are manipulated, moved, deleted, etc.
- Modeling with ribs – to give the desired shape to the object, the position of the edges and their sizes are changed.
- Modeling using polygons – faces are used for more complex operations, for example, making shapes bulge or vice versa, sharpening, smoothing or indenting a surface, here you work with planes.
Guidelines for creating polygonal models
- Better to use quadrilateral geometric shapes … They are easier to deform, which allows you not to waste time on unnecessary manipulations. It is recommended to use as few triangles as possible.
- Don’t use complex geometric shapes , with a lot of corners and edges, this can deform the texture.
- When creating a polygon model only the necessary elements need to be rendered , building additional structures complicates the model itself, if these are small details, they can be done using textures.
Polygonal modeling is designed primarily for the creation of volumetric models of objects with precise shapes and clear contours. Objects are made up of polygons – tiny faces that have shape and color. This method is most often used today in industrial design …